ELECTION: Interview with Sin (Undead)

The Ireem Chronicles braved the war to bring you this interview with Sin, one of the final two candidates for Undead Leadership.  The beaded curtain of our office doorway rattled amidst the not too distant sounds of clashing blades, announcing his arrival.

Quickly setting aside the print materials in hand, and friendly greetings out of the way, I jumped right into the interview questions to efficiently utilise our precious time set aside during this chaotic war time.


The low rumble of Sin's voice emanates an aura of authority and mystique as he sits his warrior frame onto our rickety ancient, ahem I mean antique office chair, and very politely thank us for fitting the interview in our busy schedule.


"You are too kind, we are all very very busy, and I gather you must be busy too for there has been so many battles in the sands of late.  And Congratulations for being voted in as one of the two final candidates for Undead Leadership, Would you like to introduce yourself to those who don't know you so well?"


"Thank you again.." pausing to clear his throat. "Here most know me as Sin.  Though I am a rather new face in comparison, many have come to know me to be a man of action and results. I fight strongly for what I believe in and thrive in the face of adversity.." his words came quickly and with an air of confidence.

"Yes, yes your passion for wanting to lead your people is admirable, and yes...mmhmm.. your election opponent who is also the current leader, the formidable Damien Sack with many years of experience, what do you consider as your strength over him, and what made you come forward to run for Undead Leadership?"

At this juncture, the sounds of sword-fighting and battle-shouts could be heard very much clearer and nearer.  Nonetheless, Sin remained calm and answered with a smile, "I have not made the mistake of underestimating my opponent. He has many years of experience as you stated.. But as history has proven, those who have lead for too long lose touch with the common man. Finding themselves complacent in their day to day and not fighting for the prosperity of those who respect and serve.." a slight flicker in his eyes. "I have stood along side my brethren in times of war and times of celebration. Interweaving myself into their lives and ensuring not only their safety, but also helping them thrive. " adjusting himself a bit in the chair before continuing. "My strength is the bond I share with those I intend to lead into an evolution of our race and the fortunes it will bring along.."

Just outside the office, a barrage of gunfire sounded off as a female voice yelled 'Fireoff!!!'
I paused hesitating to pose the next question to Sin, a considerably newcomer in the political scene of Ireem, but leaned forward a little to look directly into his eyes to observe any inkling of irritation should it be sensitive to mention once again his opponent, his current Undead leader, and asked with a curious tone "How do you plan to deal with or win over the support of Damien's followers if you become the Undead Leader? How would you..describe your leadership style?"

Without hesitation he jumped right into his answer with a very stern tone. "As far as their support goes, I have fought for the respect and admiration of those who served alongside me. Nothing I claim has not been earned through extensive effort and my willingness to do what it takes to prove myself."

Rapping his fingers against the wooden table, he pondered for a moment before answering the second half of the question. "My leadership style? It can be summed up in a single word. A word you have heard me use a few times now.. Evolution. I will adapt to every situation and address each issue with the same respect and care as the last. A soft handed approach backed with my unwillingness to back down regarding something I believe in. I plan to push limitations and lead by example.. never asking anything of my people that I myself am not willing to endure."

Taking a deep breathe to calm myself what with the fighting noises just outside the office, my quill never stops etching onto the parchment all of Sin's words, I gestured to the plate of fresh beef slices and smiled "Help yourself to these snacks, I bought these for you thinking you might like refreshment what with the ongoing battles.." my eyes flits from the doorway and back to Sin.. " I sure hope the fighting remains out there..we have too many important documents in the office that must not be destroyed...and I'm not quite equipped to fight.."sighs..
He bellowed with a tone of certainty "Should anyone see fit to interrupt these proceedings, they will meet my blade...And if I may.. as a side note.. A good leader cannot be defined by his physical prowess. On the contrary a good leader is defined by the strength of character and what he believes in. A leader literally connotes to a ruler, but you must be wary because the line between the two can be easily crossed. A ruler demands his mob to follow him, often without their own livelyhood in mind. A leader shows the way and is willing to ensure none are left in the wake. In every walk of life, be it combat, interaction, office or family or country a good leader makes a difference and paves the way for success. A leader is the driving force which motivates and pumps positivity into the concerned group extracting the most from them albeit gently."

My heart almost skipped a beat writing down each and every word spoken with such intensity and passion, "Words of a great leader indeed!" looking up at him again from the papers held firmly down by the busy quill in hand "I do hope you don't mind me asking all these rather candid questions pertaining your election, we must get this article into the papers soonest possible. With the kind support of much donations from all citizens who appreciate our papers' timely reports ..we must work fast..If I may ask..at present, the strong ties between the Djinns and the Undeads is well-known, will this alliance continue if you become Undead Leader?"

"The Djinn and the Undead share a common bond unknown to most.. but without giving away too much..." he chuckled a bit looking to me once more with a warm smile and nodding reassuringly, "Yes, as long as their feeling stay the same, I will welcome them at my side and in my home as brothers and sisters.. "

Smiling back, and still mindful of the battles going on just outside but thankful our guest is well-skilled and seemed alert to fend off any attacks that may stray into the humble office " I am glad to hear that, very glad."
I paused to clear my throat before asking yet another rather sensitive question, "In a recent news report, the Pirate Slaver Eve made a comment and let me quote 'the cowardly four races alliance', she was referring to the Djinns, Undeads, Dark Knights and Merfolk, what is your response to that?"

"Eve wishes to play a game of numbers and figures.. yet I must ask the citizens of Ireem to consider the facts rather than the venom that Eve spits with each word.." a tinge of resentment in his words was clear. "After a recent change of tribes.. In which she moved to bolster her own numbers, she has moved to forge an alliance with not only the ones she turned her back on but now the palace itself has backed this war. If I may quote a pirate who shall stay unnamed.. 'It [The Bedu, Palace, Pirate alliance] is for all humans, to fight evil creatures,'" he paused a hint of anger welling in his eyes. "The arrogance and audacity of such a hateful ideals speaks volumes towards who Eve supports and her own thoughts on the world.. To make such claims towards all other races? Simply insulting."

I nodded quietly and then smiled to try defuse the tension "Ahh I see you are keeping an eye on this lady Eve's mischiefs.  Please do share your opinion, as Undead, what is your goals in Ireem? And what influences do you weave into the community of Ireem?"
"I have but one goal as leader of the Undead, the ensure the prosperity of my people. To make them a more integral part of the society that have all but been cast out of. To overcome the stereotypes and misinformed opinions of us. But above all the happiness of those who put me into such a position.." his words came like silk on air, as natural and honest as one could expect. "My influence will know no bounds.. For long have we lived alongside the citizens here.. Working with and against , depending on the situation, to build a harmonious union. At this time I do not wish to divulge all the details of my plans. But I will say.. that simply because we call shadow our home does not prevent us from coming into the light.." a mischievous smile was clearly taking shape over his dry lips.

"Excellent! You may be a new face but you are well-learned and very aware of all that is going on in the sands..I wish you success and would like to conclude this interview if you would sum up your campaign for your voters."
"With my campaign what I offer is simple.. A chance to evolve with changing times behind someone who has proven themselves and will continue to in the face of whatever adversity lies ahead.."

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds