ARTICLE: Memoir of a Raider

Memoir of a Raider
By: Anonymous

It was like any other day in Ireem.  I awoke from a poor night's sleep with war horns blaring; the call of the raids.  Swept up from my daze, I stood at ready, eagerly awaiting my orders.  My leader, so strong and ambitious, took our large army of 6 men at ready to defeat our enemies, and to take what was rightfully ours.

  The desert was unforgiving on this day, for I recalled how my feet felt as though they had melted against the leather that bound them to tightly.  Nearly sinking through the sand, I marched onward, following my fellows toward the portal that would lead us to our prize.  The portal to the realm of the Djinn.  We jumped, one by one, to that mysterious land to be greeted by our enemies.  Alas!  The creature was sleeping so heavily that they held no challenge for my comrades.  We all showed that creature what for and trudged onward to our prize.

 To our dismay, we hadn't realized how difficult it was to breathe at such a high altitude.  For many of us stood in a daze as tunnel vision had taken hold.  It was as though time and space had suddenly swallowed us whole.  I watched my comrades run about, chasing what appeared to be a small red imp.  We thrashed around wildly in attempt to fell the creature, but the imp eventually found its way to our valiant leader.

  Cries echoed throughout the realm as if we had been trapped within an endless tunnel.  "Who has the bag?"   , the voices bellowed.  It was like a dream as I glanced over my shoulder to see my comrades waving their weapons about as other enemies appeared.  The clash of iron screamed through the thin air as a most impressive battle took place.

  Our strong army could not hold position against the large numbers of enemies who had appeared.  Many of us were subdued and forced to watch on in horror as our glorious leader fell from the heavens.  "This can't be!" I cried as a cold chain was wrapped around my neck.  We had come so far!  How could this be?

  As if time had suddenly stopped, the chain which held me in place tugged me to the edge of the heavens.  The clouds, which I had so dreamed of touching passed me swiftly as I fell to my death.  As the streets drew nearer, I could hear no more as my life had passed before my eyes.  Taking one last breath before colliding with the earth that bore me as one of its children, I wrote this memoir of what it is to be a raider.  Yes.. It was a long fall from the realm and luckily, I had parchment and a pen available prior to my descent.

  I awoke from certain death to find a beautiful dark haired lady standing over me, caressing my body with silver mist which knit my flesh together "You are mine now.." she whispered, and I wondered if it would have been better to die in the fall...

0 comments:

Blogger Template by Blogcrowds